Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Blind, Pitiless Indifferent Universe.

The Gradual Illumination of the Mind: Scientific American: "In one of the most existentially penetrating statements ever made by a scientist, Richard Dawkins concluded that 'the universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.'"

Which in its blind indifference produced a species that could invent a God which shares that blind pitiless indifference. Why anyone would worship either is a mystery to me. We should celebrate the fact that we miraculously resulted from the ability to survive of countless ancestors, and can do our part to make sure that countless descendants, direct and collateral, live in a more loving and intelligently managed world than we do. We should not be blind, pitiless, and indifferent to our responsibilities to them. In other words we should not let that blind, pitiless, indifferent God manage their lives.

5 comments:

Exploringinside said...

"...we should not let that blind, pitiless, indifferent God manage their lives."

What do you propose as a course of action to address this responsibility?

J'Carlin said...

I wasn't focusing on those stuck with that kind of God. I guess help those that can be helped to find a less indifferent God, there are some out there, for those that need God. I think our, yours, mine, and others on beliefnet is useful. I see change in some fundies that play on the boards and I hope there are others that do not play.

For those who are committed to those blind pitiless gods, I don't know if there is anything I or anybody else can do. They seem to find comfort in the faith that God can see. Maybe I am wrong, but I won't bet my life on it. Pascal notwithstanding it is my life I am wagering.

Anonymous said...

I want not approve on it. I think polite post. Specially the appellation attracted me to review the intact story.

J'Carlin said...

Anonymous - Thank you for your comment. As post has two parts: God and the Universe equal to indifferent, which do you want not approve on?

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.