Tuesday, June 7, 2011

On a Life Worth Dying For.

Is Theism Simply Born And Persist Due To The Fear of Facing Reality? - Beliefnet

Accepting the reality and finality of death, does not lead at all to fear of dying today or any day. When the time comes that the mind and body cannot maintain their integrity they will cease to function. In the mean time there are many things that a person needs to do to affect the society of which hesh is a part to make that society more human friendly. Some of those things will have lasting effects, some perhaps will have none, but all are important reasons for living today, and as long as one can affect others in the society.

Death might well be described as a condition when affecting others is no longer possible. It is nothing to fear, if one has affected others properly they will carry on the task of making society a better place for humans, and life in the larger sense goes on, even though the no longer useful individual is not a part of it.

Today I can see people I have affected taking the society to places I cannot conceive, but which I approve of. Whether I die today or some day in the future I am content. But I am not finished affecting others in my society. So until the time comes when I can no longer do so I will continue to live my life so that it is worth dying for. Thanks, Forrest Church.

2 comments:

Exploringinside said...

I, too, would like to think that I'm working constantly and effectively to better things for the future of all our progeny, but it's such a small effort when compared to the tasks required to meet the demands of daily living, that things get better at all is an unexpected benefit [IMO].

For most of the world, the struggle to survive allows no time to lay around, fearing death. In the movie "Somewhere Tommorrow," the heroine's last dialogue is "The greatest secret in life is the sure certainty of Death...it causes us to strive to leave our mark on the Earth."

Having just passed by Death's Door, again, I'm doing what I can to help and encourage others; and it appears the most benefit is derived when one strives to be the best possible example of a "Life Lover" embracing it without fear or regret. Few of us have even the smallest inkling of what the future might be like.

J'Carlin said...

I think we do more than we give ourselves credit for in changing the world. Giving a child the self-confidence to take on the world, solving a "minor" technical challenge that changes the way people see the world from an airplane or the space station, or take a plastic places where it can't work. There is no way to tell at the time what will happen. You are just doing what it is up to you to do. But you Google that child and see a 2 foot Wiki page, you know you did what it was up to you to do.